Apply for International Credit Mobility

Erasmus+ offers opportunities for students to study and staff to teach or train in higher education institutions (HEIs) beyond Europe. It also makes the same opportunities available for staff and students from countries beyond Europe to come to participating HEIs in Europe. This is known as International Credit Mobility and is an activity under Key Action 1 Mobility.

UK higher education institutions which hold the Erasmus Charter for Higher Education (ECHE) can apply to the UK National Agency for funding to send and receive students and staff. Successful HEIs can then support students to study abroad for a minimum of three months and up to a maximum of 12 months. Student traineeships are not currently supported under this activity in 2017. Staff can spend up to two months teaching and/or training abroad.

     How to apply     

ICM takes place between HEIs in Programme and Partner Countries. Five separate European Union funding strands called ‘instruments’ provide the available budget, which is split across the 12 ring-fenced budget envelopes which cover most, but not all, regions of the world.

  • European Neighbourhood Instrument (ENI)
  • Development Co-operation Instrument (DCI)
  • European Development Fund (EDF)
  • Instrument for Pre-accession (IPA)
  • Partnership Instrument (PI)

Please see our ICM 2017 envelopes budgets and rules document (207 KB) for details of the eligible countries, associated rules and budgets.

Why take part

Access this additional funding opportunity to give your institution an expanded international offering, open up new regions for staff and student mobility, foster and strengthen partnerships and engage with new fields of international research. Read more in the ICM leaflet (790 KB) and our blog on Western Balkans partnerships.

Envelopes and rules

Mobility can be both incoming to Europe and outgoing from Europe and the funding for this comes from the EU's budget for external cooperation, which means that this action follows the EU's external priorities. Higher education institutions can apply purely for staff mobility or purely for student mobility or any combination of the two.

The total annual budget for ICM activities in previous Calls has been almost €11 million. Institutions should note that the budget for this activity is capped, and that applications will be assessed on quality and experience.

Please see our ICM 2017 envelopes budgets and rules document (207 KB) for details of the eligible countries, associated rules and budgets.


UK HEIs looking for a partner can visit our higher education partnership opportunities page to see all available opportunities. Working with European HEIs guidance (1.06 MB) is also available to download for you to share with your prospective partners and you can review this Quick Guide (548 KB) for Participating Higher Education Institutions in Partner Countries.

In order for a mobility activity to take place, an inter-institutional agreement (111 KB) must be signed between the participating institutions before the mobility, but not necessarily before applying. This agreement ensures that the sending institution will recognise the credits gained by its students, for activities successfully completed abroad, as part of their degree upon return.


How to apply

In 2017 there is one application deadline for International Credit Mobility funding. This date (2 February 2017) has now passed. The application eForm is still available to download (248 KB) along with the guide for applicants – version 4 (584 KB), for reference purposes only.

You can still consult the European Commission's useful ICM 'Do's and Don'ts' Guide (886 KB) as well as their Guidelines for Experts on Quality Assessment (436 KB) for reference purposes

Partnership opportunities

HEIs looking for future partners can visit our higher education partnership opportunities page to see all available opportunities. Guidance for working with European HEIs (1 MB) is also available to download.


Any Programme Country institution wishing to participate in the higher education strand of Erasmus+ must have prior accreditation and hold an Erasmus Charter for Higher Education.

Who should I contact?

If you have any questions about this activity, please contact the British Council by email or telephone: 0292 092 4311.