The UK National Agency provides grant payments to UK organisations and institutions, which are responsible for arranging the mobility activities and for selecting and supporting the participants who then take part in these activities.
If you have a severe disability or exceptional special needs then you may be entitled to extra funding to cover associated costs on your Erasmus+ placement. Please contact your institution/organisation’s Erasmus+ co-ordinator for further details as they are responsible for ensuring all the necessary paperwork is completed and arrangements are made at the host institution/organisation to meet the needs of the participant.
Higher education students who need to apply for a special needs allowance should do so via their home institution, before the start of the academic year in which the mobility activity is scheduled to take place.
As well as talking to your sending organisation about any concerns or questions you have on taking part and what support they provide, you may find some helpful information from these organisations:
- The Erasmus Student Network MappED- aimed at informing students with disabilities about the level of accessibility of the different Higher Education Institutions across Europe.
- UKGov - for information on financial support for students and travel advice for disabled people.
- NHS - find out about the mental health issues that students and young people may face, including depression and stress and where to get help, and advice on travelling abroad.
- NUS Scotland - their Think Positive campaign promotes good mental health and tackles the negative attitudes that exist about mental ill health.
- Mind UK - advice and support to empower anyone experiencing a mental health problem. They campaign to improve services, raise awareness and promote understanding. Visit the Mind UK website
- Global Graduates (formerly Third Year Abroad) - case studies and advice from other students on well-being and travelling abroad with a disability
- The European Agency for Development in Special Needs Education - a unique organisation in the field of special needs education: an independent, self-governing organisation supported by the Ministries of Education in 15 participating EU countries. Visit the website.